Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jam-Packed-July.

Unlike June, the month of July is bound to be busy-busy-busy.  It's not just my birthday month (I still cannot believe that I am going to be a whopping 38 years old) - but it's a New Orleans Festival kind of month.  Although the weather will feel like we are out frolicking in the middle of a fiery hell, the booze is sure to be icy cold and company is guaranteed to be utterly fabulous.  :0))

Coming up in a mere four days (July 13th - to be exact) - is the 7th Annual San Fermin in Nueva Orleans (Running of the Bulls).  Roller derby girls dress in black and red while wearing Viking horns on their heads (to emulate the bulls), while men (mostly) dressed in all white with red sashes RUN to get away from the bulls.  Oh, and the bulls are armed with wiffle-ball bats - where they beat the poor runners with if they get caught.  The festivities start EARLY (NOLA-style) at 6:00 AM (looks like I'll be drinking my breakfast... hahaha) and end around 1:00 PM.  Everyone will be returning to my house for a siesta, and then at 7:00 PM, the party will re-start at my domicile.  There will be lots of beer and lots of wine and lots of good friends.  Excitement!!  I love to throw a good party (people usually joke that they couldn't run for public office after attending one of my soirees) and the company will be excellent.


**Picture courtesy of www.nolabulls.com



 ^^  My tee-shirt that I received with my VIP Package


^^  My kerchief, VIP Bracelet (AKA "Booze Permit"), and Beer Number


One of the most awesome things about The Running of the Bulls is that there are NO children allowed in the VIP tent (because of the copious amounts of alcoholic beverages) and strollers are prohibited along the skating/running route.  Any and all children under the age of ten MUST be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian (which certainly narrows things down when baby carriages are not allowed).  Once again, New Orleans is catering to those without children - probably one of the last cities in the United States to do so.  ::double-fist-pump::


Another great thing that will be happening in the Point over the same weekend as the Bull Run, is the re-opening of our local library.  It's been under construction for about 10 months (it was closed when we moved here and that was in mid-October).  It's literally only a few blocks away from our house - which is great - because we won't have to go all the way to the Algiers Library (which is about a 15-minute ride down the Parkway).  


^^  Who doesn't love a local library???


The next weekend AFTER the Running of the Bulls and the re-opening of the Hubbell Library, there is the up-and-coming Tales of the Cocktail starting on July 17th and running through the 21st.  Here is a brief description:

"The five-day event, from July 17-21, will feature a series of seminars, mixing competitions, "spirited" luncheons and dinners, complimentary events and invitation-only events. Popular and up-and-coming liquor brands will be showcasing their latest products in tasting rooms. And, as always, there will be "Spirited Awards" given out in sixteen different categories, including "American Bartender of the Year," "Best American Cocktail Bar," "World's Best Cocktail Menu" and more. The top four nominees for each category will be announced on June 7, 2013 on www.TalesoftheCocktail.com."

Depending on my liver recovery from the weekend of the 13th, I may or may not make it to any of the festivities offered by Tales of the Cocktail.  I'll probably need to save my liver strength for my birthday... 


Which we will be celebrating a few days early (the husby has to go on a TDY - Tour of Duty - for a month at the beginning of August).  So, he won't be "technically" missing my birthday, but he'll be busy arranging and packing things, so we're planning the festivities a couple days early.  I'm so stupidly excited because we are going to the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas for the extra-special PENGUIN EXPERIENCE.  I have been looking forward to this since we purchased our membership back in February!!


^^  Oh, Mr Penguin... how I love thee!!


And here is my most favorite video of a baby penguin named "Cookie".  I can't play the video very often (with sound) because it drives poor Choggie absolutely apeshit crazy (and she starts looking behind EVERYTHING trying to find the source of the noise).  And although "Cookie" is currently living at the Cincinnati Zoo, we have just had three new penguins born here in New Orleans.  I certainly hope that they are available to at least see (even if we can't touch and hold them).

After the Aquarium, I anticipate going out to eat somewhere... but the "where" has yet to be determined.  I always lean towards my tried-and-true Cajun-Creole happy place, K-Paul's, but I'm also looking at some other places where we haven't tried yet.  Quite honestly, I'm in the mood for an awesomely dirty-deluxe burger from The Company Burger - but since I can go there pretty much any old time, I probably won't choose to go there for my birthday.  

So, it's looking like my July is going to turn out FAR BETTER than the previous month.  Things have been just so depressingly crazy - it's about time I have something positive to look forward to!!

Happy-happy-happy!!

x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot or will not leave your true identity on your comments, there is no need for you to write anything. And because of a very small group of individuals, I will read all comments before posting ANY to my blog (it is, indeed, sad that I am having to moderate comments AT ALL). Thank you for your time and feedback.