Saturday, April 13, 2013

French Quarter Fest - Days Two and Three: Burn Me Up, Scotty!!

The weather is beautiful.  Mid-70's today with a nice breeze off of the Mississippi, not too hot or humid...  a perfect day, really.  That being said, I managed to get myself nice and crispy over the last two days.  My fish-belly-winter-white skin has been exposed to the sun.  For two days in a row!!

Just for the record, I can't use sunblock on my face - it will give me hives.  And then I'll look even worse.  So, I'll have to wait for my skin to just tan up (that's what always happens... I get crispy and then the burn will "fade" into a tan).  But for now??  I'll have to deal with that tight, nasty, fire-ant sensation.  Le sigh.  But all is not lost - 

Here are some highlights from our day:


 ^^  View of a barge on the Mississippi...


 ^^  Walking along the levee in Woldenburg Park (going towards Jackson Square and the US Mint)...


 ^^  Overflowing with people (and booze), Jackson Square was a MADHOUSE.  


^^  Looking past the Square towards the US Mint and Frenchman's Street...


 ^^  Good local shopping, good eats, fresh vegetables, local meats, and specialty items.  


 ^^  Rouse's Market has an annual crawfish eating contest.  The winner for the past three years has been "The Black Widow".  Yes, indeed - our native New Orleans champion who has out-eaten EVERYONE is a woman.  :0))


 ^^  So you can't bother the contestants...  hehehe!!


 ^^  One of our local Mardi Gras indians.  They hand-sew these beautiful costumes and make a new ensemble every year.  He was posing with everyone (FTR - the chick in the pic is not me).


 ^^  Some colorful (but fugly) art.  Looks like someone's 7-year old painted it...


 ^^  Flying pigs!!


 ^^  Even better...  puffer fish!!  Want-want-want-want...


 ^^  Why, oh WHY would someone want to deface property with the graffiti "cat piss"??  Really??  Are you threatening that your cat will come and piss??  Maybe the property smells that way??  Mysteries are afoot in the French Quarter...


^^  This is what I like to see...  and what I moved to New Orleans for.  90% of the bars in this city do not allow minors or parents with children under the age of 21.  No exceptions.  <3  <3  <3


^^  This gem was parked behind the vendors at the French Market.  Looks like a very reputable and reliable company, no??


I'll be heading back over to the Quarter tomorrow afternoon - most of the crazy ought to be gone - and I still have a couple of food booths I want to hit.  Tonight, I'm heading over to visit L. (my neighbor).  Cocktails, a good friend, and great conversation...  it's a fabulous way to end the day (and I'm currently a poet - and I *know* it!!)...  

x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot or will not leave your true identity on your comments, there is no need for you to write anything. And because of a very small group of individuals, I will read all comments before posting ANY to my blog (it is, indeed, sad that I am having to moderate comments AT ALL). Thank you for your time and feedback.