Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day - French Quarter Craziness.

There are some people who think that what you opt to do on New Year's Day is indicative of how you'll be spending the rest of your year.  IF that is true, I hope to have a year filled with more *adventures* like today.  

The only weird thing is just how BUSY New Orleans (especially the French Quarter) really is during this time of year.  I didn't pick up our local newspaper to see what was going on in the city, so we ran into a shit-ton of fans here for the Sugar Bowl and quite a few of them looked like the walking dead from all the New Year's Eve partying.  I love people watching - and it's interesting to see things from a "local" perspective.  

We took the Canal Street ferry from The Point.  I realized when we were crossing over the great Mississippi that I didn't have any pictures of the skyline taken during daylight hours.  So, I took a couple with the trusty iPhone and finally added them to my iPhoto stuff.  It really was a gorgeous day to take pictures.

Our first stop was to grab some lunch.  Husby and I headed down to St. Louis Street - and to Johnny's for red beans and rice with spicy sausage (DH) and for a turkey club po'boy for me (dressed - but with no mayo).  Luckily we got there when we did because by the time we left, customers were almost to the end of the block.  We took ours to go and decided to "picnic" in Jackson Square as it wasn't too far away and considerably less crowded than Johnny's (good luck finding a table there...  GAH!).  It was so crazy in the Quarter that I didn't even get to feed any pigeons...  there were none to be found.  :0((  

After that, it was off to Gallery Rinard to pick up this year's Mardi Gras print and to visit with a friend who works there (I hadn't seen her since 2009 - and I finally got a chance to catch up *in person*).  There are a couple of pieces there that both husby and I like... it's still an odd feeling to actually know that I can walk a couple of blocks and voila!!  I can buy a new piece of artwork or get a po'boy or buy seasonings and spices that are not typically found in groceries outside of Louisiana.  

When we got home, we decided to just chill out and watch "The Big Lebowski".  I absolutely die laughing at that movie every time I watch it.  

The Dude abides!!!!  ;0))

Some pics of our day...

 ^^  The NOLA skyline during the day from the Canal Street ferry...

 ^^  Another view of the city from the ferry...

 ^^  We walked right past the House of Blues.

 ^^  Picnic in Jackson Square!!

 ^^  Right behind our park bench...  with the live oaks, it's hard to tell that it's winter here!

And for a stunning, final visual...  and it IS New Year's Day...

^^  Out with the Old and IN with the NEW!!!  (Looks like the sleeper sofa irritated someone's dog)

Happy, Happy, Happy New Year!!!  

x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot or will not leave your true identity on your comments, there is no need for you to write anything. And because of a very small group of individuals, I will read all comments before posting ANY to my blog (it is, indeed, sad that I am having to moderate comments AT ALL). Thank you for your time and feedback.