Saturday, May 4, 2013

Voting. Comics. Stormtroopers. Pizza.

This morning we headed out to the Algiers Point courthouse in order to vote on whether or not the Crescent City Connection (the bridge from the Westbank to the Eastbank - connecting the city of NOLA) should have an additional 20 years of tolls.  We also voted on a new Juvenile Court Judge, but because we don't have children, I just picked the name I liked best.  Not very informed, but both of the people running were from the Democrat party, so it didn't really matter to me.  Had it been a Republican vs. Democrat... well, I *am* a liberal-godless-Yankee, so I would've gone with the blue ticket.  ;0))

Oh, and I voted "no" on the bridge tolls, too.  New Orleans has the only bridge on the entire Mississippi River that has a toll (just a little bit of trivia for you).

On our walk over to the courthouse, I came across this disabled Dollar General trolley trashed underneath a "No Parking" sign.  The ironic thing, is that there isn't a damned Dollar General within 15 miles of this location.  So... it's appearance is most definitely mysterious...


^^  Abandoned trolley...


We had to cross the bridge (the same bridge we just voted on) to get to Metairie, which is where one of the bigger comic book shops are.  Here are some pictures I snapped on the way there (don't worry - I wasn't driving!!)... 


 ^^  Crescent City Connection Bridge (CCCB)


^^  Super Dome!!  You know you're in the heart of New Orleans when you see this...


With today being May 4th and all (May The Forth Be With You), we headed out to a couple of our local comic book shops to get some goodies.  Husby is an Avengers and Fantastic Four fan, and I enjoy the cheezy-ass comics like SpongeBob SquarePants and the Smurfs.  And we have:


^^  Fine promotional literature...  


^^  My Score...  all free!!  :0))


 ^^  An Imperial Guard...  right on the parkway!!


^^  So exciting...  I got to meet a Storm Trooper!!  
The only thing more exciting would've been to see Darth Vader!!


After all our comical excitement, we headed back home so that we could walk the dog (who has some serious gas - it would probably be best to NOT light a match in my living room right now) and figure out what we wanted to do for lunch.  I had a craving for pizza, so we decided to go to Mo's Pizza in Westwego.  Yes, that is *really* the name of the town.  :0))  We ordered the large supreme (minus the olives) and the pie was the size of a large hubcap.  I managed to eat 2 slices (just the goodies - no crust) and we have enough to feed us for the rest of the weekend.  Guess that gets me out of cooking.  

While we were in Westwego, we found a Piggly Wiggly!!  My brother, sister, and I used to call it the "Hoggly-Woggly" (we thought we were being SOOOOO witty - someone slap me straight now!!)


^^  Proof positive!!  Look and weep, biotches!!


Unfortunately, we didn't stop in.  However, I think I'll find a reason to head back there soon (as if I *need* a reason to shop).  

On the way back home, I was lucky enough to see a plane skywriting over the French Quarter.  It was really cool to watch and it made me wonder as to what lucky person was the recipient of the (literal) love:


 ^^  Noticed on the way home from Westwego...


^^  Almost finished by the time we were in Algiers Point...


And now we're back home.  I'm heading over to the Casey Jones in a little bit... they have pork chops on sale (family packs - $1.00/pound) and I need some libations for tonight.  I'll be heading over to S. and L.'s house tonight for some front-porch fun.  Life is good.  Very, very good.

x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot or will not leave your true identity on your comments, there is no need for you to write anything. And because of a very small group of individuals, I will read all comments before posting ANY to my blog (it is, indeed, sad that I am having to moderate comments AT ALL). Thank you for your time and feedback.